Thursday, December 26, 2013

Forced to upgrade.

I held out as long as I could with my old phone and finally caved in and got the upgrade they offered me for a new contract. My carrier is Verizon and I was eligible for an upgrade with a two year renew, I was fine with staying a customer as I am happy with their service, what got to me was the feeling that in order to stay current with the world of social media and marketing, I HAD to upgrade!!!!!

I love the Iphone 4S design the most, it is well-polished and is detailed enough to have a pleasant feel.






Now I have an Iphone 5C which feels predictable in its design, due to the fact that its need has shifted from luxury to a necessity.



It seems that the days of versatility are almost over, the more time we enjoy a brands product the more dependent we make ourselves. I would have loved to try a new smartphone, but would that mean I would have to re-learn how to operate a phone all over again?



When did things become so complicated?

As our "apps" update so do their requirements, so we upgrade our devices. If not, I am stuck with a phone that crashes, overheats, and slows down.

 This is like video consoles; every few years there is a new update and all games and development stops for the previous one. There is one console that defied the norm; the PS3 60g which also plays PS2games, but that did not last.

At least for the gamers you have several years of enjoyment before you need to shell out another $500 dollars.



Because of all these upgrades and these must haves we run and spend $800 out of pocket or forced into a contract loosing your unlimited data. When will we be able to take a break from this race?

What started as a distraction and a communication channel for the people has now has started to morph into a corporate trap seeing how to monetize and build on your dime.

Ads: Sponsored

As we now pay for our data, ads "suggested" by facebook and instagram will now cost the user something.

On top of the app upgrades which require us to get more memory, Facebook started placing ads and promoting other businesses in your feed, and is preparing you for Instagram as well. I do not feel comfortable with the free ride these social media "giants" are taking on us.





Basically I wanted to rant about my discontent with how powerless I feel we are becoming to our technological developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment