with merchants who have accepted Visa and
MasterCard at any time since January 1, 2004.
The monetary portion of the Class Settlement consists of two funds. The first is a cash fund in the amount of $6.05 billion, reduced by 25% to account for merchants who excluded themselves. Any person, business or other entity that accepted Visa or MasterCard credit or debit cards in the U.S. at any time between January 1, 2004 and November 28, 2012 may be eligible to receive a payment from this fund. The second is a fund equivalent to a portion of interchange fees attributable to certain merchants that accept Visa or MasterCard credit cards for an eight-month period which began July 29, 2013. That fund is estimated to be approximately $1.2 billion. Additionally, the Settlement requires Visa and MasterCard to modify some of their rules for merchants that accept their cards.
There are two classes in this Class Settlement:
- A Rule 23(b)(3) Settlement Class (“Cash Settlement Class”), which includes all persons, businesses, and other entities that accepted any Visa or MasterCard cards in the U.S. at any time from January 1, 2004 to November 28, 2012, and
- A Rule 23(b)(2) Settlement Class (“Rule Changes Settlement Class”), which includes all persons, businesses, and other entities that as of November 28, 2012 or in the future accept any Visa or MasterCard cards in the U.S.
The Court has appointed the law firms of Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP, Berger & Montague, PC, and Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP to represent the Classes as Class Counsel.
Claim Forms are not yet available. This website will be updated once the Court approves a Claim Form and determines when the Claim Form needs to be sent to Class Members. The Court will also determine a deadline for Class Members to submit their Claims.
Preregistration is now closed. Preregistration was optional and does not affect your rights under the settlement. Even if you completed the Preregistration process, you must still submit a Claim Form – when they are available – to be eligible to receive a settlement payment.
- View the Court's Memorandum and Order approving the Class Settlement
- View the Long-Form Notice
- View the Frequently Asked Questions page
- View the Documents page including the Class Settlement Agreement and other documents